- Chicken breasts, seasoned to taste
- Rice (follow package instructions for cooking)
- Queso (store-bought or homemade)
- Olive oil (for grilling)
- Season and Grill the Chicken:
- Season the chicken breasts with your favorite spices or a pre-made chicken seasoning.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush the grill grates with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Grill the chicken breasts until fully cooked, with nice grill marks on each side. The internal temperature should reach 165°F (74°C).
- Cook the Rice:
- Prepare the rice according to the package instructions. You can use white or brown rice, depending on your preference.
- Make or Heat the Queso:
- If you’re making your own queso, melt cheese in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. You can add diced tomatoes, green chilies, or jalapenos for extra flavor.
- If you’re using store-bought queso, heat it according to the package instructions.
- Assemble the Dish:
- Place a portion of cooked rice on each plate.
- Slice the grilled chicken and arrange it on top of the rice.
- Smother with Queso:
- Generously spoon the warm queso over the grilled chicken and rice. Ensure it covers the chicken and rice evenly, creating a delicious and cheesy topping.
- Optional Garnishes:
- Customize your dish with optional garnishes such as chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, green onions, or a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Serve the Grilled Chicken Cheesy Rice immediately while the queso is still warm.
- Enjoy the delightful combination of grilled chicken, fluffy rice, and gooey queso on your plate!
Note: Since you mentioned getting the rice and queso from Ingles, you can explore their cheese and rice varieties for added convenience and flavor.
Q: Can I use a different type of cheese for the queso?
A: Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different cheeses for the queso to suit your taste. Cheddar, Monterey Jack, pepper jack, or a Mexican blend are all good choices. You can also mix different cheeses for a unique flavor.
Q: Can I make the queso ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can prepare the queso ahead of time and reheat it when ready to serve. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and gently reheat on the stove or in the microwave, stirring occasionally to maintain a smooth consistency.
Q: How long should I grill the chicken?
A: The grilling time for chicken breasts depends on their thickness. On a medium-high heat grill, it usually takes about 6-8 minutes per side. Use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption.
Q: Can I use a grill pan if I don’t have an outdoor grill?
A: Yes, you can use a grill pan on the stovetop to cook the chicken. Preheat the grill pan over medium-high heat, brush with olive oil, and cook the chicken as you would on an outdoor grill.
Q: What sides pair well with Grilled Chicken Cheesy Rice?
A: This dish goes well with a variety of sides, such as a simple green salad, roasted vegetables, or a side of black beans. You can also serve it with tortilla chips or warm tortillas for a complete meal.
Q: Can I use pre-cooked or rotisserie chicken instead of grilling?
A: Yes, you can use pre-cooked or rotisserie chicken to save time. Simply shred or slice the cooked chicken and warm it before serving. The grilled flavor adds an extra dimension, but pre-cooked chicken works well too.
Q: Is this dish spicy?
A: The spiciness depends on the type of queso and seasonings you use. You can control the heat by choosing a mild queso or adding ingredients like diced mild green chilies. Adjust the seasoning to your preferred spice level.