- 1 lb ground hamburger meat
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 box (32 oz) beef broth
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14 oz) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 10-12 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded (for topping)
- Ricotta cheese (for topping)
- Cooking the Meats:
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the ground hamburger meat and sweet Italian sausage until browned, breaking them apart with a spoon. Drain excess grease, leaving a little for flavor.
- Adding Aromatics:
- Add the finely chopped onion and minced garlic to the cooked meats. Cook for a couple of minutes until the onions are softened.
- Creating the Base:
- Pour in the beef broth, crushed tomatoes, petite diced tomatoes, and water into the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Season the soup with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Start with a generous amount of Italian seasoning, adjusting to your taste preferences. Allow the soup to simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour to let the flavors meld.
- Preparing Lasagna Noodles:
- Break the lasagna noodles into bite-sized pieces and add them to the simmering soup. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until the noodles reach your desired level of doneness.
- Check and Adjust Seasoning:
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if needed. Add more Italian seasoning, salt, or pepper according to your taste.
- Ladle the hot lasagna soup into bowls. Top each serving with a generous sprinkle of shredded mozzarella cheese and a dollop of ricotta cheese.
- Optional Garnish:
- For an extra touch, sprinkle some fresh basil or parsley on top before serving.
- Dive into the heartiness of your homemade lasagna soup, savoring the rich flavors and comforting textures.
- For a kick of heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Stir in a handful of fresh spinach or kale for added nutritional value.
- Drizzle each serving with a bit of high-quality extra virgin olive oil for richness.
Feel free to customize this recipe based on your preferences, and enjoy the deliciousness of your homemade Lasagna Soup!
Here are some helpful tips to make your Hearty Homemade Lasagna Soup even more delightful:
- Quality Ingredients: Start with high-quality meats, fresh vegetables, and good-quality tomatoes for the best flavor.
- Italian Seasoning Mix: If you have individual dried herbs like oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary, create your own Italian seasoning mix for a personalized touch.
- Fresh Herbs: Add a handful of fresh basil or parsley just before serving for a burst of freshness. Chopped fresh herbs can elevate the overall flavor.
- Sauté Aromatics Slowly: Allow the onions and garlic to sauté slowly, enhancing their sweetness and deepening the flavor of the soup.
- Cheese Selection: Experiment with different types of cheese for topping. Besides mozzarella and ricotta, consider using Parmesan, Pecorino, or a blend for added complexity.
- Homemade Broth: If you have the time, consider making your own beef broth for a richer and more nuanced flavor. It can be a game-changer for the soup.
- Adjustable Pasta Texture: Cook the lasagna noodles a minute or two less than recommended on the package if you prefer them to have more bite in the soup.
- Vegetable Variety: Add extra vegetables like diced bell peppers, mushrooms, or zucchini to make the soup even heartier and more nutritious.
- Splash of Wine: Deglaze the pot with a splash of red wine after sautéing the meats and aromatics. It adds depth and complexity to the soup.
- Layered Cheese Topping: Instead of mixing the cheese into the soup, consider layering it on top of each serving. This provides a delightful contrast in textures.
- Garnish with Citrus Zest: Add a touch of fresh lemon or orange zest just before serving. It brightens up the flavors and adds a subtle citrus note.
- Crushed Red Pepper: For those who enjoy a bit of heat, offer crushed red pepper flakes as a tableside garnish, allowing everyone to customize their spice level.
- Extra Creaminess: Stir in a spoonful of mascarpone or cream cheese just before serving for an extra layer of creaminess.
- Simmer for Flavor: Allow the soup to simmer low and slow to let all the flavors meld together. The longer it simmers (within reason), the richer the taste.
- Serve with Garlic Bread: Accompany the soup with homemade garlic bread or crusty Italian bread. The dipping possibilities add another dimension to the meal.
Remember to tailor these tips to your taste preferences, and enjoy making your Hearty Homemade Lasagna Soup even more delightful!
While there may not be specific “most popular” questions about Hearty Homemade Lasagna Soup, here are some common questions and their answers that might arise:
- Can I make this soup ahead of time? Yes, you can prepare the soup in advance, but it’s best to add the noodles just before serving to prevent them from becoming too soft.
- Can I freeze leftover lasagna soup? Yes, you can freeze the soup without the noodles. Add the noodles when reheating for the best texture.
- What’s a good substitute for ricotta cheese? Cottage cheese or a mixture of mascarpone and Parmesan can be good alternatives.
- How do I reheat the soup without overcooking the noodles? Reheat the soup gently on the stove, adding a bit of extra broth if needed. Add the noodles just before serving.
- Can I use ground turkey instead of beef and sausage? Certainly! Ground turkey is a leaner alternative, and you can add Italian seasoning to enhance its flavor.
- What type of pasta is best for this soup? Lasagna noodles work well, but you can also use other pasta shapes like broken fettuccine or rotini.
- Is there a vegetarian version of this soup? Yes, omit the meat and use vegetable broth. You can also add plant-based sausage or crumbled tofu for protein.
- Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned? Yes, you can use fresh tomatoes. Just peel, seed, and chop them before adding to the soup.
- How can I make it spicier? Add red pepper flakes during cooking or serve with hot sauce for those who enjoy extra heat.
- What sides go well with lasagna soup? Garlic bread, a simple green salad, or a side of roasted vegetables make excellent companions.
- How long does it take to cook the lasagna noodles in the soup? Cook them for 6-8 minutes or until they reach your preferred level of doneness.
- Can I make this soup in a slow cooker? Yes, you can adapt the recipe for a slow cooker. Brown the meat and sauté the aromatics first, then transfer everything to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
What can I do if the soup is too thick? Add more broth or water until you reach your desired consistency.