- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup real grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup enchilada sauce (3 gm sugar or less)
- Shredded cheese (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, grated cheddar cheese, taco seasoning, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix well until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Shape the mixture into approximately 15 meatballs and place them on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through and browned.
Put Together Casserole:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Pour 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of a small baking dish or a cast iron skillet, spreading it evenly.
- Place the cooked meatballs into the dish, arranging them evenly.
- Top the meatballs with the remaining enchilada sauce, ensuring they are well coated.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded cheese over the meatballs, covering them entirely.
- Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly, creating a golden brown crust.
Serve and Enjoy:
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool slightly.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro or green onions if desired.
- Serve the Low Carb Enchilada Meatballs Casserole with a side of cauliflower rice, salad, or your favorite low-carb vegetables.
This delicious and low-carb twist on enchiladas is sure to satisfy your cravings while keeping your carb count in check!
Here are some helpful tips to make your Low Carb Enchilada Meatballs Casserole even more delightful:
- Quality Ground Beef:
- Choose high-quality lean ground beef for the meatballs. This ensures a flavorful dish without excessive fat.
- Enhance the Meatballs:
- Add a minced clove of garlic or finely chopped onions to the meatball mixture for additional flavor. You can also experiment with adding some chopped cilantro or diced green chilies.
- Cheese Varieties:
- Try a blend of different cheeses for added complexity. Consider mixing in Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, or Mexican blend cheeses for a more diverse flavor profile.
- Customize the Sauce:
- Experiment with different low-carb enchilada sauces available in the market or make your own. Look for options with minimal added sugars for a healthier choice.
- Spice it Up:
- If you enjoy extra heat, add a pinch of cayenne pepper, diced jalapeños, or crushed red pepper flakes to the meatball mixture or the enchilada sauce.
- Fresh Toppings:
- Just before serving, add fresh toppings like diced tomatoes, avocados, or a dollop of sour cream for added freshness and texture.
- Serve with Low-Carb Sides:
- Accompany the casserole with low-carb sides like cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, or a crisp green salad to create a well-balanced meal.
- Char on the Meatballs:
- For an extra layer of flavor, consider searing the meatballs in a hot skillet for a couple of minutes before baking. This imparts a nice crust on the outside.
- Fresh Herbs:
- Sprinkle fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley on top just before serving to add a burst of freshness.
- Make it a One-Pan Meal:
- Add low-carb vegetables like bell peppers, onions, or zucchini to the casserole for an all-in-one meal. Simply toss them with the meatballs and sauce before baking.
- Broil for Crispy Cheese:
- After baking, broil the casserole for a minute or two to achieve a golden, crispy layer on the cheese topping. Keep an eye on it to prevent burning.
- Meal Prep Friendly:
- Prepare the meatballs and sauce ahead of time and assemble the casserole just before baking. This makes it a convenient option for meal prep.
By incorporating these tips, you can enhance the flavors and textures of your Low Carb Enchilada Meatballs Casserole for an even more delightful dining experience.
Here are some secrets to help you make the perfect dish:
- Quality Ingredients:
- Start with high-quality, lean ground beef or turkey to ensure a tasty and healthy base for your meatballs.
- Seasoning Mastery:
- Adjust the seasoning levels to your taste. Taste the meatball mixture before shaping to ensure the perfect blend of taco seasoning, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cheese Selection:
- Experiment with different cheese varieties for added depth of flavor. A blend of cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Pepper Jack can elevate the cheesy goodness.
- Taco Seasoning:
- Consider making your own taco seasoning to control the salt and spice levels. It allows you to customize the flavors to your liking.
- Enchilada Sauce Wisdom:
- Choose a low-sugar or sugar-free enchilada sauce to keep the carb count down. You can also make your own sauce with quality ingredients.
- Baking Technique:
- Ensure the meatballs are evenly sized for consistent cooking. Use a cookie scoop or your hands to shape them uniformly.
- Broiling Technique:
- For an extra crispy and golden cheese topping, broil the casserole for a minute or two at the end of the baking time. Keep a close eye to prevent burning.
- Vegetable Additions:
- Add low-carb vegetables like diced bell peppers or spinach to the casserole for extra nutrients and a pop of color.
- Fresh Garnishes:
- Just before serving, add fresh garnishes like chopped cilantro, green onions, or a squeeze of lime for a burst of freshness.
- Low-Carb Sides:
- Pair the casserole with delicious low-carb side dishes like cauliflower rice or a simple avocado salad for a well-rounded meal.
- Make it Keto-Friendly:
- Ensure all components of the dish, including taco seasoning and enchilada sauce, are keto-friendly for those following a ketogenic diet.
- Portion Control:
- Pay attention to portion sizes, especially if you’re mindful of your carb intake. This helps in maintaining balance while enjoying a delicious meal.
- Prep Ahead:
- Prepare the meatballs and sauce ahead of time for a quick and easy assembly when you’re ready to bake. This is especially helpful for busy days.
- Flavorful Additions:
- Enhance the flavor profile by adding a touch of smoked paprika, cumin, or even a dash of hot sauce to the meatball mixture or the enchilada sauce.
By keeping these secrets in mind and adjusting the recipe to suit your preferences, you’ll be on your way to creating the perfect Low Carb Enchilada Meatballs Casserole every time!