- 2 packs Knorr chicken-flavored rice
- 2 cans of cream of chicken soup
- 3 uncooked chicken breasts, diced
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Onion powder, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: Frozen broccoli florets (if desired)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese blend)
- Chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 365 degrees Fahrenheit (185 degrees Celsius).
2. Prepare the Rice: Cook the Knorr chicken-flavored rice according to the package instructions. Once cooked, set aside.
3. Prepare the Chicken: While the rice is cooking, season the diced chicken breasts with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
4. Cook the Chicken: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the seasoned chicken until it’s no longer pink in the center and has a golden-brown exterior. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Prepare the Creamy Sauce: In a mixing bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup with the cooked chicken-flavored rice. If you’re adding broccoli, mix it in at this stage as well. Stir until well combined.
6. Assemble the Casserole: In a baking dish, layer half of the creamy rice mixture on the bottom. Add a layer of cooked chicken on top. Then, add the remaining rice mixture over the chicken layer.
7. Bake the Casserole: Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld and the casserole to become bubbly and heated through.
8. Add Cheese Topping: After baking for 45-50 minutes, remove the foil and sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the top of the casserole. Return the dish to the oven and bake uncovered for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
9. Garnish and Serve: Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired. Serve hot and enjoy your delicious and comforting Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole!
Feel free to customize the recipe by adding other vegetables or your favorite seasonings to make it uniquely yours. Enjoy your meal!
1. Can I use brown rice instead of white rice? Yes, you can substitute brown rice for white rice in this recipe. Keep in mind that brown rice requires a longer cooking time, so you may need to adjust the cooking time or partially cook the brown rice before adding it to the casserole.
2. Can I use pre-cooked or rotisserie chicken instead of uncooked chicken breasts? Yes, you can use pre-cooked or rotisserie chicken in this recipe. Simply shred or dice the pre-cooked chicken and add it to the casserole during the assembly step. This can be a time-saving option.
3. Can I prepare this dish ahead of time? Yes, you can assemble the casserole ahead of time and refrigerate it before baking. Cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to bake, remove it from the refrigerator, let it come to room temperature, and then bake according to the original instructions.
4. Can I freeze Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole? Yes, this casserole can be frozen for later use. Assemble the dish but do not bake it. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil, then freeze for up to 2-3 months. To cook from frozen, thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight and then bake it according to the original instructions.
5. Can I customize the cheese used in this recipe? Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese or cheese blends based on your preferences. Cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or a combination of these cheeses work well for this casserole.
6. Can I make this recipe without canned soup? Yes, you can make a homemade creamy sauce using ingredients like butter, flour, chicken broth, and milk to replace the canned soup. This allows for a from-scratch version of the recipe, and you can control the ingredients and flavors more precisely.
7. Can I add other vegetables to this dish? Yes, you can add various vegetables like broccoli, peas, carrots, or bell peppers to the casserole for added nutrition and flavor. Make sure to cook or blanch the vegetables before adding them to the dish.
8. How can I reheat leftovers? To reheat leftovers, place individual portions in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat larger portions in an oven-safe dish at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) until hot and bubbly.
Feel free to adjust the recipe to suit your taste and dietary preferences. Enjoy your Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole! 🧀🍗🍚